As an associate of Plain Language Commission, I have been editing, writing and rewriting documents for other people since 1999.
- reports and presentations of scientific and environmental research
- booklets in Easy English for young people with learning disabilities
- articles, newsletters and leaflets for charities and health authorities
- tenancy agreements and information leaflets for housing associations
- letters and guides to services for local councils
- guides to financial services.
My biography of John Marco Allegro (John Marco Allegro: the Maverick of the Dead Sea Scrolls) was published by Wm. B. Eerdmans in 2005. Since then I have contributed related articles and talks for various journals, academic foundations and interest groups.
I write a regular column for our local paper The High Peak Review about countryside matters or local history.
Demand Media Studios
I have contributed a large number of articles for publication online on the LiveStrong and eHow sites. Mostly I write about education, child development, social care, environmental issues, animal care and outdoor activities. For examples, see http://www.demandstudios.com/profile-ce860a29-Judy-Brown/
I can ensure that theses, dissertations or articles for academic journals are presented in clear, fluent and grammatically sound English. I work with students and researchers whose first language is not English, or who are not confident of their writing skills.
Careers advisory work
Before having children, I worked for 12 years as a careers adviser – talking and listening to people, presenting information, researching and writing. About 40 of my articles on careers were published during the 1980s by the Careers and Occupational Information Centre as leaflets, online, or in the careers encyclopædia Occupations.